HISTORY AND PRESENT
The founder of the endowment fund is prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Štěrba, Ph.D., current Head of the Department of Pediatric Oncology at the University Hospital Brno and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Krtek Children’s Oncology Endowment Fund. He founded it in November 1999.
The Krtek Children’s Oncology Endowment Fund (Krtek COEF) is a part of the Department of Pediatric Oncology at the Brno University Hospital (DPO UH Brno), which distinguishes it from other endowment funds and foundations – as it focuses on the treatment of children with oncological diseases in a comprehensive way. Children are offered treatment at the highest possible level thanks to the cooperation of the clinic’s experts with top research centres at home and abroad.
This has resulted in expanding the possibilities of treatment and providing comprehensive support for the care of oncologically ill children at DPO UH Brno during and after treatment.
The vision of Krtek COEF is to help maintain the current high standard of comprehensive care for oncological disease patients, to facilitate their treatment as much as possible, to mitigate its consequences and to significantly increase the possibilities of personalized medicine for all children who are in need of it.
Fulfilling our vision will not be easy, so Krtek COEF aims to significantly increase investment in modern specialized diagnostics and treatment, which will enable us to help a greater percentage of children treated at the DPO UH Brno. For these purposes, we strive to double our current income. We need your help to be able to provide this new treatment, not yet covered by public funds, to all children who need it.
The Krtek COEF logo was created by Markéta Šporová, a sister of a treated patient from DPO UH Brno.
SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES IN THE ACTIVITIES OF KRTEK COEF
- In 1999, prof. MUDr. Jaroslav Štěrba, Ph.D., founded the Krtek Children’s Oncology Endowment Fund and in the same year, Krtek organized camps.
- In 2002, Krtek added more residential events to the camps.
- In 2004, Krtek began the operation of a lodging house for parents of hospitalized children.
- In 2008, the “home care” project, which the Krtek COEF supports, was initiated.
- In 2014, Krtek began to support research and personalised treatments for children in whom standard treatments are failing.
- In 2018, Krtek COEF participated in the global event Pediatric Oncology Days, whose main task is to spread awareness of the issue of oncological diseases in children and young adults. The event takes place every year in February.
- In March 2020, Krtek COEF celebrated 20 years of activity along with its supporters, donors, volunteers, representatives from DPO UH Brno and friendly research centres. Among those extending their congratulations were also well-known personalities who have become close friends of Krtek.